Friday 15 June 2012

Day 1: NICU time

All throughout my pregnancy, I was praying for healthy babies and no NICU time. Guess you can't have it all, Sophia stayed for 5 days at Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. In retrospect, It was a good thing. With Sophia in NICU, she had 24/7 care.


After my c-section, I was wheeled to the recovery room and stayed there while my room was prepared. I had my first breastfeeding with Emma. Thank God she latched well within first try. I know they're both healthy as they have 9 and 10 apgar scales. Emma's birth weight was 5.9 lbs while Sophia was 4.1 lbs. Never expected they would differ this much. Since Sophia;s birth weight was less than 5 lbs, she has to stay in NICU till she'll get to 5 lbs.


Emma was with me after she was checked by the nurses. Unlike before, babies now stay in the same room as the mom to promote breastfeeding and early bonding. Nurses would check on us every hour and taught us the basics in newborn care. 


I had to be on a wheel chair because I was still weak post surgery. Good thing my room was just near NiCU. I visited Sophia while Kevin took care of Emma. The nurse told me that she refused to feed, so I breastfed her which was counterproductive coz she has to exert a lot of effort to latch. My mommy genes made my heart ached, she's so tiny and fragile and I felt so bad not having her next to me. In the end it all worked out. 
Skin to skin with Sophia

Bonding with Sophia.



Sophia in her bassinet at NICU

SO sweet of my MIL to bring some pressies

1 day old Emma

Emma sleeping with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment