Monday 5 December 2011

The Other Baby.

I never had a pet. I think my family did but I never had that kind of attachment to any canine. When I met Kevin, he just got himself a dog. A doberman pincher named Stinker. I know. Such an odd name but he said he was so stinky when he brought Stinker home from the farm.


The first time I met Stinker, he scared the shitz outta me. He is huge and will break my bones had I let him attack me. But he's like Kevin's child although, a monster of a child who wrecked most of his furniture. Behind every big dogs monstrosity, they are cry babies. Suckers. Attention-whores. At that time, I only stayed here in Winnipeg for two weeks so the thought of bonding with the dog was far- fetched.


But the inevitable came. Finally moved in here. Kevin assured me that I will get used to him. Yah yah. I'm not the only one who was adjusting to our new life. Stinker had been throwing up that week that I arrived. Vet said he was having a hard time and my presence stressed him out. Wow. Dogs get stressed! How little I know of these four-legged creatures.


It started off as a love- hate relationship with Stinker. But as with all relationships, he grew on me. Surprisingly, we got along. Stinker is always considered in all our activities. Like taking him along wherever we go, essentially it's parenting practice.


Now that we are soon to be parents, we are worried for our canine baby. Will he have a hard time? Definitely, he's not going to get the same attention he's getting now. He stays in our room every night ( like a guard dog :))---- although it means I have to vacuum the room 3x a week. But then, soon this  ordeal will not work with the babies in the house. Dogs and babies look cute ONLY on YouTube but I wouldn't let Stinker come near the babies when they're still newborn.


I've read some stuff on the net on how to prepare your dog before the babies come home. According to the article, you have to bring something that has a baby's smell so the dog will get used to it. That will work. But how about Stinker's 'galloping'? He's uncontrollable barking at a single hint of unfamiliar sound? He's 'pet session'? The list is endless and we have no bloody clue how to make it work.


I guess we'll just let the leaves fall where it may as they've said. It's a life imitates art from that movie Marley and me.


Good luck to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment