Thursday 1 December 2011

The Hunt for Bassinet

When I am not thinking about my ever changing body, I am obsessed with baby furniture. As I have mentioned before, a friend offered to buy crib--s, not just one but two of them. Its a very good offer to pass up. However, there's a big problem. The cribs that I want from Babies R Us are not available online. Panic mode. How will my friend buy me the crib? Crib is very important and we want  to have it before the babies come. Think Gladys think....Solution came as quickly as I identified the problem. Babies R Us have gift cards!! So I emailed my friend about it but still I will not get it till next year. :(

Most mommies ( esp mom-in-law) told me that it would be more convenient to have the baby in the same room as us. This got me thinking. If we have a crib, there's no way in hell it will fit in our bedroom. We have a small bedroom and even if we rearrange it, two cribs will still be a tad too big for the space we have. So hubby and I decided to get a co-sleeper or a bassinet.

Bassinet what? For the life of me, call me ignorant but bassinet sounds like a musical instrument to me until I got myself acquainted with it. Back home, other than babies co-sleeping in bed with their mommies, we have what we call as "duyan". Duyan is an improvised bassinet ONLY it is made out of a blanket tied on both ends and hang on the wall ( think of it as a baby hammock). This is a very effective method of lulling the babies to sleep, fail-proof. BUT in this age and times, it is safe to get something that is on the ground and not suspended   above ground level :)


Having decided on a bassinet, hubby and I spent way too many hours on the internet trying to find a bassinet that is not expensive and durable at the same time. Babies R Us have a fancy one for $160. I wouldn't want to buy with that price because we will just dispose the bassinet in 3-4 months time. So I scoured and got so frustrated. We even came to a point where I will have to apply for US visa to go to the States to buy a good one-- sometimes stupid ideas come from frustration! Alas, I came across sears.com. Yep, not sears.ca ( canada-based).

It was just in front of me but I just didn't see. I was so focused on finding the bassinet that it didn't occur to me that I can actually order straight from the States! In an effort to get Canadian buyers, Sears.com have flat rate shipping of 10 bucks to Canada. Although Sears stores are everywhere here in Winnipeg, there are items that are exclusively distributed in the States i.e. cheaper bassinets.

I went ahead and ordered a basic bassinet in green and yellow. It's not a fancy one, but it can be converted into a cradle. After I placed the order, I found another bassinet for the same price with vibrator and musical mobile. gaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh. Shoot me.

No comments:

Post a Comment