Wednesday 6 July 2011

Week 1: ( or so I thought)

Its the nicest time of the year here in Winnipeg. Its summertime. If you've lived in Asia like me, this is no big deal. However, for people from here: frozen tundra, its a cause celebre'. For me, it feels like 'home'.

Having been here for 4 months, we had a lot of plans to do for the year. There's painting the house with green ( ha! this is my house too), renovating the kitchen, road tripping to the nearest US state and watching concerts.

We went for the U2 concert and had so much fun. I had taken on a job which still makes me talk and talk some more but its not the kind of talking I used to do. Whenever I go home, it wiped me out that I had forgotten to keep track of my period. So I said to my hubby, after 15th of June if I will not get it, I will buy a test. He said it will be a waste of time since we were not even trying. I know we are going to have a baby at some point in the future, especially when people keep pointing out that I am already 30, I thought it might take a while. SO we didn't really concern ourselves of getting pregnant right away.

We found a sale on patio set from WalMart. Because it was new and we're cool like that ( haha), we dined and had beer ( yes I had beer!) in our backyard , one beautiful evening. I usually drink beer whenever I feel bloated and it follows that I get my period the next day. I don't know any scientific explanation for that or may be it just has a placebo effect on me. But a week after that dinner, I still didn't have my period and I started to notice that I had been having frequent trips to the bathroom.
This is it, I gotta get that test. I passed by Rexall drugmart on my way home. I chose the cheapest pregnancy test because I'm frugal like that and in case it's not positive then I wouldn't throw away $20 to the trash bin.

They said, for best results, you have to do the test early in the morning but I couldn't wait. The moment I got home , I went to the bathroom, did the test and took a deep breath. It was the longest minute of my life as the stick starts to form one........then two lines. The second line was kinda faded. My mouth was dry, eyes grew in disbelief. Voila, there's  a second line. Since it was a buy one take one test, I took the test again. But even Maths will tell you that two positives do not make a negative. I AM FREAKIN PREGNANT!


When hubby got home, I told him the news, he was sooooo happy like he just won a lottery. On the other hand, I was like " it was just a one shot deal". Uh uh. And then I recall my new bike, my new 5-inch heels and the plan to go NYC. Erase, scratch, erase, scratch. Thanks to two lines on a plastic stick, my life has been changed in less than a minute. I AM NOW A MOMMY. me a mom?? so surreal. im freakin out, its sooo surreal.


I instantly went online,  looked for OB-GYNE clinic and scheduled an appointment. They will not take me in till the first trimester. I had to wait till August 10 to see an OB doctor. I TAUGHT DEVELOPMENTAL PSYCHOLOGY for quiet some time but I felt like I have to learn all new stuff again. It's a monumental obligation to really carry a life other than your own. I told family and friends about this new "development" and whenever I'm asked how far along am i, I don't have a clue.

Thanks to google. I was reminded that we count pregnancy not by months but by weeks. Pregnancy will lasts for 40 weeks and that countdown started on the first day of your last menstruation ( uhm... weird isnt it). Technically, it's just 38 weeks since it will take 2 weeks for the ovulation to occur. I did the Math and I am on my WEEK 7!

Now this means a lot of things.
1. No Caffeine and that includes coffee and coke. The two beverages I drink other than occasional water.
2. Stop the Insanity by Shaun T workout  that I just started.
3. No less bike rides.
4. Drink Milk. yuck. milk. but yah HAVE TO.
5. Eat veggies.
6. Worry-free, stress-free life.

Here's to a new adventure! ( drink the champagne for me :))

4 comments:

  1. weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee- tita na jud ko! yes eat and drink healthy and nutritious foods and no late night sleep. cant wait for the blue, gray, brown or black eyes baby in the family. take care always te!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i still can remember how much you hate milk before but now you have to haha..nway god bless your pregnancy can't wait to see that witty cute baby soon..

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahah. korek jud bing. :)

    @bulay: unsaon pag follow ug balik ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. go to her blog then look for Follow in the right side then follow.

    ReplyDelete